Bondi Resort Blog

Come on into our Blog for a look at the wonderful world we've got to share! With over 240 hectares (600 acres) of wilderness woodlands surrounding the resort, just ten minutes from Algonquin Park, we feature over 400 metres (1200’) of waterfront and beach; boat rentals; summer hiking trails winding through fields and woods; 20 km. of groomed cross country ski trails and snowshoeing in winter; access to nearby snowmobile trails for sledders, and a toboggan hill for the young at heart.
www.bondi-village-resort.com

Friday, December 10, 2010

Birds at the Beach






I'm on Longboat Key, Sarasota. I'm about 100 feet away from where the surf hits the beach.



It's a quiet time of year here -- after Thanksgiving, before Christmas -- and you could pretty much fire the proverbial cannon without hitting anyone.




Which doesn't mean it isn't a happening place. Today, while I wandered along the surf (and no, it isn't really hot -- in the low 70's, with the locals all bundled up) I was kept company by large flights of pelicans. Numerous sandpipers. Surprisingly few seagulls.




The resort next door to mine was hosting a photo shoot for the Bealls Dept. store catalogue. Much activity -- sunscreens, light meters, shades, reflectors, cameras. And, yes, models. They were there all day long. The girls were bundled up in down parkas (really) until the moment came for the shots. I asked, and Dave the photographer said it was fine to take pictures of them taking pictures, so I did...


After lunch, I discovered the most wonderful boardwalk nature trails just moment away at the Joan Durante Park. Restoration work on shorelines and wetlands is just part of this 32 acre `wilderness`, and it`s a great place to wander about. Mullett fish were jumping in the lagoons, and I was graced to watch an osprey swoop down and score one of them.




The osprey later posed for me, on a dead tree. I dunno... for me, the wild birds were more interesting than the ones in swimsuits!




Check out the talons on the osprey -- you wouldn`t want to be on the receiving end of those!

No comments:

Post a Comment