Bondi Resort Blog

Come on into our Blog for a look at the wonderful world we've got to share! With over 240 hectares (600 acres) of wilderness woodlands surrounding the resort, just ten minutes from Algonquin Park, we feature over 400 metres (1200’) of waterfront and beach; boat rentals; summer hiking trails winding through fields and woods; 20 km. of groomed cross country ski trails and snowshoeing in winter; access to nearby snowmobile trails for sledders, and a toboggan hill for the young at heart.
www.bondi-village-resort.com

Sunday, February 19, 2017

Farewell Foxwood

Fox Point Rd. gets its name from one of the Lake of Bays' earliest settlers -- Tom Salmon, who came here in 1870, settled on the end of the point, and (well, you knew this was coming) saw a fox sitting on a rock there when he arrived...  Tom came in by snowshoe, following a cut-out survey line that brought him to a location on the Lake called Huckleberry Point.  There was a bit rock, about 4 feet high, on the tip of this Point, having on one face the dates 1692 and some initials carved into it.  Jokers later tipped this into the water for fun, and it has been lost, along with the mystery of who carved it.  He kept going, liking the look of the lake, and after living in various locations, finally settled at the end of what is now the Fox Point Rd.  He married Elizabeth on Valentine's Day, 1883, and together they gradually build Foxwood Resort.  What began as a haven for fishermen and hunters on their way to what is now Algonquin Park gradually expanded to welcome their families and children, and became its own treasured destination.

Tom was world reknowned for his snowshoes and birchbark canoes. He learned how to make these from the local First Nations, with whom he enjoyed a tremendous relationship. His snowshoes were sold as far away as Russia, and were taken along on one of the expeditions to the North Pole.. They were stamped with his mark, an outline of a fish and the word SALMON.  I've got a pair of the snowshoes hanging in my porch, small treasures all on their own.

Foxwood became one of the Lake's oldest resorts. Tom passed away in 1943, Elizabeth had died the year before.  Daughter Anne married J. W. Emberson, and they continued to run the resort, which later passed to their son Clare.

Since those days the resort has changed hands a few times. For the last 15 years it has been in the ownership of Rob and Julia Wallace.  They have retired, and the resort is now sold, as they have moved elsewhere.  The new owners, we are told, will be operating it quite differently, more as a corporate retreat, and the current website simply indicates that it is CLOSED.

Certainly, this is an end to an era, and while it may herald a new direction, there will be many who will miss the old resort.  Our family has long deep ties with Foxwood, the Salmon family and the Embersons. There were so many delightful stories told, and memories to hold close.

We wish the Wallaces happiness in their retirement from Lake of Bays, and we say Hello to our new neighbours (whom we have yet to meet).

Since reservations were accepted for the coming summer, prior to the sale, there may be people out there now looking for an alternative place for their summer holiday.

We would suggest that perhaps they give us a call.  We don't have many vacancies left, but we do have  a few.  The Resorts of North Muskoka, a group of about 14 resorts in the area, would be another place to look. All of these resorts are small, family owned and run, and each is unique. All offer authentic Muskoka vacations. None are cookie cutter, and there should be one out there in that group that will meet you needs and exceed your expectations

No comments:

Post a Comment