Bondi Resort Blog

Come on into our Blog for a look at the wonderful world we've got to share! With over 240 hectares (600 acres) of wilderness woodlands surrounding the resort, just ten minutes from Algonquin Park, we feature over 400 metres (1200’) of waterfront and beach; boat rentals; summer hiking trails winding through fields and woods; 20 km. of groomed cross country ski trails and snowshoeing in winter; access to nearby snowmobile trails for sledders, and a toboggan hill for the young at heart.
www.bondi-village-resort.com

Saturday, March 27, 2010

Running with the Wolves


When Katie was here last summer, she came out for Dark Skies and Wolf Howls, and we were successfully able to deliver on both topics! Katie made me this wonderful drawing, which still hangs on my fridge.

Here at Christmas, she came to my door to ask if we howled for the wolves in the winter. I explained that yes, we could... but the packs are on the move hunting, and it can be much harder to get a reply. I tried to soften the possibility of my epic failure at Wolf Karaoke by noting that I had not heard the wolf pack in several weeks, and thought they were out of voice range.

Nothing ventured, as they say, nothing gained, and Katie agreed to howl with me. We did a very soft voiced rehearsal, prior to cutting loose with our best howls... and WHAM! the wolf pack picked up on the Lookout Hill, and sang and sang and sang. Katie had a smile a mile wide.

We've always maintained that getting outside after dark, up here in the wilderness, is a learning experience. Now Katie has written to us with proof that one wolf howl can travel a very long way indeed:


"In my class we all had to write a speech and then say it in front of our class. Everyone got to choose their own topics, unless someone else was doing the same topic as them. At first, I wasn't sure what topic to chose. Then, I came up with the best topic EVER! Guess what it was? It was wolves. Since then, I have said my speech and gotten a good mark. Choosing wolves was a good speech topic. The first paragraph says something about Bondi. This is my first paragraph: Honourable Judges, Parents,Fellow students, Guests: "Have you ever heard a pack of wolves howling at night, or a lone wolf howling nearby? Every summer for the last few years my dad and I have gone to a cottage on the Lake of Bays in northern Ontario. I became more interested in wolves by listening to their different pack howls. When I come to Bondi this summer I hope that I will get to hear the wolves again."

We couldn't be more proud. Studies tell us that standing up in front of a group of strangers to give a talk is one of the most intimidating experiences. How wonderful that our timber wolf pack welcomed Katie in to the their song and helped her stand proud and brave -- like a wolf -- to talk about them! Way to go, Katie!

3 comments:

  1. Nancy, We'd love to come and stay during the week for an overnight, and to hear the wolves howl, but do you have rooms, rather than a cottage for us? I remember staying upstairs once-upon-a-time.
    THanks!

    ReplyDelete
  2. We used to offer rooms in the Main Lodge, complete with meals. This 6 bedroom (up to 18 people) unit now rents as a single housekeeping unit, and is very popular, especially with groups, extended families, etc. We have only one week (Aug. 6 - 13) open this summer, for example.
    That said, we do offer a Couples' Rate at $145/night in a One Bedroom unit. We'll even provide you with free eggs for breakfast....

    ReplyDelete
  3. I loved this post! Made me smile... Way to go Katie!...and way to go Nancy! What beautiful memories you help create! Can't wait for my next visit...

    ReplyDelete