Bondi Resort Blog

Come on into our Blog for a look at the wonderful world we've got to share! With over 240 hectares (600 acres) of wilderness woodlands surrounding the resort, just ten minutes from Algonquin Park, we feature over 400 metres (1200’) of waterfront and beach; boat rentals; summer hiking trails winding through fields and woods; 20 km. of groomed cross country ski trails and snowshoeing in winter; access to nearby snowmobile trails for sledders, and a toboggan hill for the young at heart.
www.bondi-village-resort.com

Wednesday, December 8, 2010

Big Feet, Big Wings

Carol was surprised this week to look out the office window and spot a big flock of wild turkeys sauntering through the driveway. They took their own sweet time, and finally decided to take to the air (you'd be impressed at how well wild turkeys fly. For such big birds, they are amazingly aerodynamic).

They left some lovely patterns in the driveway.

The next morning, I found Achmed, his furry nose glued to the sliding glass doors, watching one of the hens who was foraging in the snow under the birdfeeder on my deck. The cat has dreams of grandeur... never mind dragging home some unsuspecting finch... he is going for the glory! Or so he thinks. Turkeys have wicked beaks and long necks -- best not to mess about with them.

Last spring, on my way to a Council meeting, I found a hen sitting in the middle of the road near Marsh's Falls. She didn't move when I drove past. These are very shy birds, very wary and hard to approach, so that wasn't normal. Being me, I stopped and approached. She had been 'clipped' by a car, and she was still dazed. She let me pick her up.

Which, even as I lifted the bird, (dressed I might add in my best Off to Council clothes!) I realized was a mistake. Quickly grabbing that dangerous beak in one hand, I found myself roadside, holding this injured bird.
Unable to safely release the head and neck, I sort of fumbled about to see where she was hurt. I couldn't put her in the car to take her somewhere for medical aid, because I a) had no hand available to open the car; b) had no way to secure this rather annoyed bird if I did so.
A police cruiser approached -- aha! thought I, help from Ontario's Finest. They serve and protect. But they apparently don't serve until it's time to pass the cranberry sauce. They looked at me, in dress clothes and heels, in the middle of the road holding a wild turkey.They drove on.

I clambered over the guard rail, and found a place to set the bird. She was gone when I returned from the meeting, so I hope she was only stunned. The cars that passed, observing me Dancing with Turkey, probably though I was the stunned one. Oh wel!

No comments:

Post a Comment